How to Practice Safe Electrical Appliance Usage at Home
With the increase in electricity usage at home, we also have to be more aware of the appliances we use and how to use them safely. When it comes to electrical appliances, there are several basic safety rules that you should follow.
Essential Electrical Appliance Safety Tips for Your Home
- Never plug an appliance into a damaged outlet or has a loose cover.
- Always keep your fingers away from exposed wires and sharp edges of the device.
- Use only appliances of appropriate voltage for the outlet they are plugged into.
- Check your electrical cords regularly for any cuts or damage, and do not use any device if you find any such damage on the cable.
- Always keep your children away from outlets while using an electrical appliance.
- Ensure that all electrical appliances in your home are adequately grounded and have GFCI protection installed in case of an electric shock accident.
- Contact a licensed electrician immediately if you notice any signs of damage on your household appliances.
- Ensure that you do not overload power outlets with too many devices, as this may cause a fire hazard or even short circuit the circuit and trip off the breaker switch.
- Turn off all lights and other household appliances when leaving home, especially when going out for extended periods like vacations, etc.
If you find anything wrong with an electrical appliance, like it’s tripping off frequently, burning smell, etc., do not try to fix it yourself; immediately contact a licensed electrician so that they can examine it properly and identify what is causing it to trip off frequently so that you can get it repaired quickly before it causes further damage or fire hazard inside your house.
Ensure that electrical appliances have enough ventilation to prevent them from overheating. It may cause electric shock accidents if short-circuiting occurs inside these appliances.
What to Do in Case of an Electrical Shock Accident?
An electrical shock accident can cause serious injuries or death if not treated immediately. Therefore, knowing what to do in an electrical shock accident at home is essential.
Here are some basic steps that you should follow in case of an electrical shock accident:
- Do not try to treat yourself as it may cause further injury or make the situation worse. Instead, immediately call for emergency medical help and seek medical attention as soon as possible.
- Do not remove any wires from the damaged appliance. Wait until the electric current has been turned off completely.
- Do not touch any appliances that have caused an electric shock accident with wet hands. This may cause electrocution again if there is still some electricity running through them; instead, use a dry cloth or towel to remove any water from your hands before touching these appliances.
- Make sure that you are using a proper grounding technique while handling electrical appliances. Plug them into adequately grounded outlets, so that you can avoid injury from any stray current or voltage.