Should You Buy New or Second-Hand Furniture?
Should you buy new or second-hand furniture? The answer depends on what you’re looking for and how much you want to spend.
You can find most things second-hand, such as clothing, bicycles, computers and household appliances. If you’re looking for furniture that’s in good condition and comes with a guarantee against defects, buying second-hand can be the best option.
But if you’re looking for something unique or more stylish, it’s unlikely that you’ll find it at a garage sale. And unless you know exactly what you want and where to look (which is very time consuming), running around town looking at all sorts of furniture is likely to be frustrating.
What’s more, if your budget is limited, there may not be anything that meets your needs in your price range. However, shopping for furniture in this way does help reduce clutter by repurposing old items rather than adding new ones to the mix.
For those reasons, many people like to shop second-hand first before they head off to a furniture store.
What are some tips when buying used furniture?
1) Always examine the drawers and cabinets so that any problems are evident before making the purchase and bringing it home.
2) Be certain that all parts are present when purchasing used office equipment such as desks or tables — one missing screw can lead to disaster later on!
3) Make sure that drawers lock properly and close well so they stay where they’re supposed to be! This applies especially if young children in the family might reach into the chest of drawers while playing!
4) Ensure that there aren’t any scratches or dents on wooden items such as beds or tables — these can easily scratch floors when moved around at home!
5) If it’s a used bed, make sure that it has a good mattress – and that the frame is solid enough to hold up a heavier person. Sometimes the wood in older beds can become weak over time, so be certain the frame will support your weight and that of your partner.
6) Test chairs and couches for comfort by sitting in them for several minutes to see if they’re too hard or squishy. Don’t forget to test reclining chairs as well!
7) Be cautious when purchasing used patio furniture — insects like ants often find their way into the outdoor cushions which may have been left out in the sun. These critters can do damage to furniture fabrics, even though they don’t bite or sting!
8) Check for water damage on all wood furniture pieces before purchase — this is particularly important if you live near water. A range of things can cause water damage, including rainwater leaks or flooding from nearby rivers or lakes.
An easy way to check for water damage is by looking at the wood grain: if it appears warped or discolored (as shown in photo below), pick something else!
When buying furniture second-hand, you may not always have the option to take a piece home to check it out. For example, many people like to buy furniture online so that they can save money on shipping costs when ordering an item from across the country.
If you’re new to shopping for used items, here are some tips that will help you make the best purchase possible;
1) Always check feedback before making a purchase — sellers with lots of positive responses are usually reliable but avoid sellers with lots of negative comments!
The most important thing to look for is whether the seller offers shipping insurance or a product guarantee. This is particularly important if you’re purchasing something big and expensive, such as a bed or couch!
2) When buying an expensive item online, be sure the seller accepts PayPal or other online payment services. This will protect your money if something goes wrong.
(PayPal also offers buyer protection for transactions.) When shopping locally, be sure to shop in person and pay cash! (Credit cards give too many opportunities for fraud!)
3) Don’t be afraid to negotiate a lower price if you see something that catches your eye — sellers want happy buyers just as much as buyers want a good deal!
Just try to avoid being too aggressive or pushy because this can put off potential buyers.
Our website, HandyWork, is dedicated to helping you know what to do in various home improvement needs. Check out our website now!