First published: 29 May 2022 @ 6:00 pm
Before we get into what we should do when washing dishes, let’s look at why we should wash them.
There are many reasons this step is vital for our health and safety.
The Benefits of Handwashing Dirty Dishes
Although many of us don’t think about it as often as we should, dirty dishes have a tremendous impact on our health. For example:
Keep Germs At Bay
Washing dishes regularly can help keep germs at bay by killing off those that might linger on the surfaces where you prepare food.
Even if you’re careful to clean off countertops and other surfaces before eating or preparing food, there are still germs lurking on them that can make you sick if they’re not completely removed by handwashing.
Better for Environment
Handwashing is better for the environment than throwing away dirty dishes in the trash can.
We should all be attempting to reduce our waste stream, which is one way to do it. It also helps conserve water, which is a precious resource for our planet.
Handwashing dishes is an easy way to save energy.
You don’t need to use any special water or dish soap. Just hot water and a sponge will do the trick.
It’s much easier washing dishes in one session than to wash them several times throughout the day. By handwashing dishes only once, you can make more efficient use of your time and energy.
You can even wash dishes while watching TV or on the phone with friends! That’s good for your health and saves money by not having to turn on the dishwasher all day long!
Photo by Jennifer Burk on Unsplash.
Keep Germs from Building Up
Handwashing keeps germs from building up on surfaces where food has been prepared and eaten, such as kitchen counters, cutting boards, and serving platters, but most importantly, in your food itself!
If you have never washed your dishes before, you may not realize how important it is to wash them after each meal.
Handwashing dishes is not only crucial for your health but also for the environment.
For example, dirty dishes can pile up on your countertops, leaving a sticky residue that could lead to mold and mildew.
By handwashing your dishes, you can prevent this from happening.
Photo by Thought Catalog on Unsplash.
Tips on Handwashing Dishes
Handwashing dishes, pans, and other kitchen utensils can be tedious. Not only do you have to wash these items with water and soap, but they are also sitting in your sink while you do it. However, there is a better way to clean these items, and it is not as tedious as you may think.
Here are some tips on how to wash dishes with ease:
- If you have already cleaned the dishes, get rid of the soap and water immediately. The soap and water will leave a film on the surface of the plates that will have to be cleaned off later.
- Use hot water for handwashing dishes instead of cold water. Hot water can get rid of more dirt than cold water does. When washing your dishware, fill your sink with hot soapy water.
- Add one or two drops of dish detergent into the hot soapy water for added cleaning power (do not use dishwasher detergent).
- Wash each piece of dishware individually using your hands or a sponge. Always wash them so that all areas will be thoroughly cleaned from top to bottom when washing each piece individually.
- Do not leave dirty dishes in the sink while doing other tasks in your kitchen; keep them in a separate dish rack or drying rack to avoid dirt and grime from settling on the sink surface.
- You can also dry the freshly-washed dishes using paper towels or any clean towel around you if you want.
Find The Best Tools to Keep Your House Clean
Handwashing dishes is the best way to ensure your health and safety. It’s safe, simple, easy, and fast. It also eliminates bacteria from surfaces, helps prevent food poisoning, saves water, reduces your energy bill, and helps keep you and your family healthy.
Our blog, HandyWork, is here to help you find the best products and tools for your home improvement projects. We specialize in power tools, hand tools, home maintenance products, and gardening tools. Check out our site for reviews of these products and more!