Entertain Overnight Guests during the Holiday Season
How to Entertain Overnight Guests during the Holiday Season
Have you ever entertained overnight guests during the holiday season? If you’re anything like me, it can be a daunting task. When your guest list increases, so does the stress.
I can never seem to think of enough activities to do with everyone! But there are ways to keep your guests entertained while staying on budget.
One thing that helps is creating a budget in advance and sticking to it. Before the holidays, sit down and decide how much you want to spend on each person.
You can have everyone pay for their own food and entertainment or you can pay for all of it yourself. The latter may seem tempting but if you don’t have a large enough budget, it could lead to headaches when trying to find something affordable for everyone.
To save money on food, consider doing an all-you-can-eat buffet at home or order pizza instead of making dinner at home. That way, everyone will be able to eat whatever they want without breaking the bank! Here are some other ideas:
1) Play games together: Have some holiday themed games on hand like Apples to Apples or Cranium Party Edition . These games are sure to get everyone laughing and having a good time.
2) Have a scavenger hunt: Scavenger hunts are great for the entire family! You can have everyone in teams or go at it alone.
If you’re worried about making a mess, try having your guests find objects in the house instead of going outside. You can make it more challenging by giving them time limits and penalties for being late.
3) Watch a movie: This is an easy way to keep everyone entertained without much effort on your part. There are so many holiday movies to choose from like The Santa Clause, Elf, National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation, A Christmas Story and The Grinch Who Stole Christmas .
Have everyone bring their favorite holiday movie with them and watch them all in a row! Make sure you have some snacks on hand like popcorn, candy canes or gingerbread cookies to make it extra festive!
4) Decorate cookies: This is one of my favorite things to do during the holidays! I’ve been known to host cookie decorating parties with my friends before and they always turn out to be lots of fun!
Instead of paying $5-$7 per cookie at the store, why not bake them yourself? Plus, it’s a great way to bond with your guests.
5) Watch the classic Christmas movies: When I was growing up, my family would gather around the TV and watch A Charlie Brown Christmas, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer and Frosty the Snowman every year.
They’re still a favorite in my house today! For those who are not as familiar with these movies, you can also include It’s a Wonderful Life, Miracle on 34th Street and The Santa Clause.
6) Have a gift exchange: Another fun way to entertain your guests is by having a gift exchange. You can do this with or without spending money. You can either buy inexpensive gifts or make them yourself like ornaments, decorations or food gifts.
If you decide to go the homemade route, try baking cookies in holiday shapes or making homemade chocolates. To play this game, each person brings one wrapped gift to the party.
Everyone then draws numbers out of a hat to determine who will go first and so on until everyone has had a turn picking a gift from under the tree or from an unwrapped pile of gifts on the floor.
The game ends when everyone has picked their gift and everyone gets to open their present.